Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mistake?

So after a little run-in with our new Canadian bank last night (nota bene: don't online/telephone bank when tired and a wee bit drunk) I think we had our first moment of Movers Regret. Actually it started earlier in the day, as Mr. O read through his contract and came to the conclusion that labour law in Canada favours businesses over workers, a depressing thought when your presence in the country is largely dependent on your employer.
Then we had a bit of a scrap over nothing as we walked all the way up my new favourite street, carrying a bedside table, over just how much Mr. O can vent about his new homeland and just how much I can take before I have to take the defensive on its behalf. Actually, it might sound like I'm defending my country (such a tough phrase) but really I'm defending our decision to move here, which, really, given the late night attack of MR I'm obviously still not 100 percent in favour of. Which, if I run with it, makes me wonder what the hell we're doing amassing furniture and adopting cats (who insist on kicking their litter boxes all over the floor, but that's veering off topic a bit).
I'm willing to chalk at least half of this rotten moody mood to the fact that it's gray and about 99 percent humidity today. My shirt was soaked just walking to the (closed till 2 pm) movie store. But I am obliged to mention that said movie store is quite possibly the most fantastic movie store next to which I've ever had the privilege of living, and without a doubt beats the hell out of any Makuuni. I love that everything in my new hood is open on Sunday and closed on Monday (who doesn't feel that way?) and that I can get organic Bronto Burgers and fresh raisin bread from the bakery and the lady at the Polish butcher with the broken Interac machine just offered to let me pay her next time. I love the 125 year old houses and jaywalking and how everybody is from some place else. I remember why Finland felt so barren when I first arrived there. And everybody knows the Big 5 banks suck anyway, so fuck it, we're going to the Finnish Credit Union.

No comments: