Thursday, April 10, 2008

Do you feel lucky?

Those of you who participated in the papers pool are now drooling with anticipation, I know. I should make a correction, though, because when I set the estimate at around 6 to 7 months, I was actually referring to the time to the AIP rather than the actual landing date, which we now know will come much later. Mr. O noticed this right away and changed his bet, but since we are not immigration lawyers and can't be expected to understand all this double speak, rather than postponing the pool or making you all bet again, I thought I'd just reword it to the above. So the same dates still stand for the AIP letter, and for those who haven't bet, there's still time!

8 comments:

Chrisinha said...

what's the difference between the AIP and the other thing? i need to make an informed choice

Karri said...

The difference is that once I get AIP (approval in principle) I am NOT yet a permanent resident nor I have the rights of a PR, but I am allowed to _apply_ for an open work permit which would allow me to take any job I can get.

Chrisinha said...

and what's the next step after AIP? i.e. what do you get when you get your PR? Your PR form?

Karri said...

When I get PR, i get a PR card that i need to have with me when i travel and i get certain rights, e.g. it's possible for me take a mortgage, own property, apply for canadian credit cards more easily etc. etc. in other words, rack up a lot of debt, start living the dream, ay? ;) ;)

Karri said...

oh, and PR is good for 5 years.

Careygrrl said...

What comes next is we get a letter saying we can apply for the open work permit, which we should do asap, and then we'll also be contacted by a local immigration office to go in for a meeting, after which he will be accepted for the PR and we will just wait for the card. But OWP is the next big step.

Chrisinha said...

hmmmm...i dunno about the AIP. I don't think I can make an educated guess, but I still stand by my PR date of August (I'm pretty sure of that one).

Six Degrees of Dodgeball said...

Did I win?