Saturday, July 14, 2007

Packing day

As of today our apartment (all whopping 60m2 of it) has been divided into two camps: keeping and leaving. The keeping camp is, theoretically at least, smaller and more precious than the leaving side, which is a side only metaphorically, as it includes all of our furniture, which will remain evenly dispersed across the aforementioned tiny territory that is our home for another 17 days.

In fact the whole thing is barely a metaphor at the moment, but hopefully as the week progresses a clearer picture will emerge...ordering boxes on Monday and somehow doubting that the original 10 will be enough. We have, to be blunt, a whole lot of crap. I am, right now, publicly declaring that I shall not be purchasing another item of clothing or footwear before I leave. Nor books. Not a one. So there. But I'm not at the sacrifice-making point yet. We're going to Pori Jazz next weekend, after which the real line will be drawn. In fact, my whole schema for life is now divided into Things I Need to Do Before PJ and Things That Can Be Done Afterward. It's been working quite well, thus far, as anybody who knows me knows how much I loathe moving. Ironic, masochistic even, but true.

At least that nagging feeling that this is all a huge, horrible mistake has disappeared. Helsinki has been beautiful this summer and I've been, ahem, drinking it all in, taking midnight bike rides, seeing beautiful friends, etc., so I think that that's made it easier, actually. We just spent a week in the archipelago which has also left me very appreciative and zen. I'm still sorry to leave, of course, but I'm also getting very excited to arrive...

No comments: