Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fun with taxes

So here's a reversal that reminds me of my first days in Finland: Nice Canadian tax lady bends the rules, grouchy Finnish tax lady toes the line.
I hesitatingly called the CRA last week to ask about the infamous Option C printout and the person on the end of the line was very helpful. Before she could even try to take a printout, which she assumed would be blank but I thought might be useful anyway, she had to update my address, which was a serious task. Akin to changing your PIN number at the bank, changing your address at the Canadian Revenue Agency is a many-stepped process, which involves answering questions about your tax history and other info that, if it is all five-plus years old, is actually very tricky. Because I had no tax history (at least, for the last while) she had to come up with other, security-type questions that only I could answer, in order for the system to let her in to change it. What was my first address in Finland (I could remember the street but not the number)? Where did I live in Toronto before I moved (as in, all three addresses since I started working)? I was feeling a bit embarrassed until she said she was surprised I could remember that much, considering the fragmented state of my file (okay, so she didn't use the word fragmented, exactly). Then I felt better, and she updated my address and sent me the blank form, strongly suggesting I call Finland and get a statement from them. Thanks!
Then I tracked down the international number for the Finnish verotoimisto, and got up bright and early Tuesday morning to call them inside office hours. I had this idea that they would be flexible and accommodating, kind of like your mom, or the owner of a small business. The woman answered in English, but she really didn't seem happy about it. I wasn't so happy to be up at that time either, but we choked our way through a short convo, the gist of which was that a) a statement of my 2006 income was already in the mail, as per their usual schedule, to my Toronto address, and b) no, it wasn't in English, nor could they send me an English version. And that was that, no negotiation. Kiitos, hei hei.
So the thing arrived yesterday, and now the next delay will be to get it translated. I can either scan it and send it to my dear friend in Finland, or figger out a place to get it done here. Either way, it'll be another week before we can send Mr. O's application.

No comments: