Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Facing e-casing

Today I had my first conversation with a real live CIC rep on the phone, in an attempt to get our client number to track our e-cas status online. It turns out that this number is the same that is on Mr. O's temporary work permit (it was a blank on the fees receipt that we didn't fill, although apparently this doesn't matter). If I had dealt with CIC in the past, I would also be able to use the number issued then to track this sponsorship. One number per person? That's almost Finnish in its organization and coordination! Who knew the Canadians were so coordinated and organized? And why didn't we find this little detail on the site anywhere? Reputations are at stake!

Interesting also that she couldn't release the number to me, even though I'm his sponsor - apparently we'd have to send in a release of information or use of a representative form in order to grant me access. Of course, Mr. O could call in and request the information himself, since it's his file. She also said that even with the number it was unlikely that we'd see anything on the file at this early date. Don't think that's going to stop me from punching it in as soon as I get home tonight.

She also said that in-Canada sponsorships work a bit differently, and that, unless they have to contact us to request clarification or missing information on the app, we shouldn't expect to hear from the CIC for about six months after the date of receipt, at which point Mr. O will get his first stage approval and can apply for an open work permit. It's apparently at that stage that I would receive my very own client ID number for e-cas, although what this would show me about Mr. O's status is unclear. While it's nice that it's all bundled into one step, it's a bit strange that they don't send any confirmation of receipt.

No comments: